The Philadelphia Prison System (PPS) provides Adult and Juvenile detention and sentenced inmate confinement services to the City and County The Philadelphia Prison System (PPS) provides Adult and Juvenile detention and sentenced inmate confinement services to the City and County of Philadelphia. The PPS manages six major and four satellite facilities supervising an average daily inmate population of nearly eight thousand. Its mission is to...
…provide a secure correctional environment that adequately detains persons
accused or convicted of illegal acts; to provide programs, services,
and supervision in a safe, lawful, clean , humane environment ; and
to prepare incarcerated persons for reentry into society.
PPS provides the majority of these services within its main complex located at 7979 thru 8301 State Road, in Northeast Philadelphia. Administrative Offices, intake processing, business management, food service, medical, information technology and maintenance operations are headquartered there.
The complex provides a location convenient to local transportation and satisfactory access to City services. While the area was placed into use as a prison in the late 19th century, renovation and expansion was based on the need to house an ever growing inmate population over the last twenty years.
There are six individual jails co-located in the State Road PPS Compound: Alternative and Special Detention (Minimum Custody-Adult Male), Riverside (All custody level-Adult and Juvenile female), House of Correction (Minimum Custody-Adult Male), Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center (Medium and Close Custody, Adult Male), Detention Center (All Custody Level, Male and Female Adult and Juvenile and Inpatient Mental Health / Infirmary), Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility (All Custody level, Adult Male Intake and cook chill food factory).
Each facility is maintained to local and state operational standards. However, at least two, the House of Correction (HOC) and Detention Center (DC), are in need of replacement. HOC was opened in the 1870’s and renovated in 1927 and DC was opened in 1963. Another significant concern is the age and condition of several modular buildings used to house ancillary units on site.