Posted by Eric Horvath on November 03, 2014 at 11:04 AM
November 3, 2014 (Philadelphia) - The Streets Department’s 2014 Philly Leaf Collection and Recycling Program will begin on Monday, November 10 and will run through Friday, December 19. The program is one of several services provided by the Streets Department to honor the City's on-going commitment to recycling by helping to reduce the amount of materials that reach the waste stream and saving landfill space.
New changes have been implemented in this year’s program. Bagged leaves will not be collected curbside. Bagged leaf drop-off will be offered city-wide on Saturdays (with the exception of the Saturdays following Veteran’s Day and Thanksgiving Holidays) at 22 designated locations from 9 AM to 3 PM for the duration of the program.
Mechanical leaf collection will be provided as a supplement to bagged collections in areas known to have a heavy accumulation of leaves. The mechanical leaf collection operation will include leaf blowers, mechanical sweepers, and leaf loaders. Mechanical collection crews will concentrate their efforts in designated boundaries each week, following a strategic schedule to maximize efficiency and productivity.
Follow these tips for bagged leaf collection:
- Do not mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves. This contaminates leaves and makes them unfit for recycling purposes.
- Use as many bags as needed, maximum 40 lbs. each
Bagged leaves may also be taken to any of the four Sanitation Convenience Centers:
- 3033 S. 63rd Street (63rd & Passyunk Ave.)
- Domino Lane and Umbria Street
- State Road and Ashburner Street
- 2601 W. Glenwood Avenue
There will be no curbside collection of bagged leaves. Leaves set out curbside, either in other bags or containers, will be collected as rubbish, not recycling.
Follow these tips for mechanical leaf collection:
- All leaves should be raked and ready for collection by 7:00 AM the day of mechanical collection. Rake leaves into the street by the curb’s edge (piling is not necessary).
- If possible, move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, so crews can remove leaves along the curb line.
- Residents in mechanical areas can also drop-off bagged leaves.
- After the mechanical collection, please sweep and bag any remaining leaves and place them out for the weekly rubbish collections.
- Mechanical collection crews will visit routes only once. Residents are urged to sweep and bag any remaining leaves and take them to any of the drop-off locations, or set out for collection on trash day.
- The Streets Department does not provide biodegradable bags. Residents may purchase them at their local home improvement stores.
- No collection will occur on a City holiday.
Bagged leaf drop-off will be offered citywide at specific locations only on Saturdays from 9am to 3pm for the duration of the program. Locations convenient to the 6th District include:
- 1400 Cottman - Pennway & Cottman Avenue (Jardel Recreation Center)
- 2901 Princeton Avenue (Mayfair Recreation Center)
- 7901 Ridgeway Street (Fox Chase Recreation Center)
- 8101 Bustleton Avenue
- 2900 Comly Road (Palmer Playground)
- 7231 Torresdale Avenue (Russo Park)
Bagged leaves will only be accepted in biodegradable paper bags. These bags can be processed for recycling along with the leaves. This reduces contamination in the recycling process.
During this six-week program, leaves will be collected for composting purposes, like, fertilizing gardens and nourishing trees.
(Thank you to the Streets Department for providing the above information.)