Posted by Councilman Bobby Henon Morgan on March 19, 2014
Councilwoman Quiñones Sánchez proposes to change the funding formual for Philadelphia schools by requiring an additional portion of the real estate tax from the City to be given to the School District of Philadelphia. The Councilwoman's proposal would not change the overal combined rate of the City and School District real estate tax. Currently 45 percent of property tax revenues go to they City, while the remaining 55 percent are dedicated to the school district. This bill would change the formula so that 40 percent goes to the city and 60 percent to the school district. Read the legislation.